Friday 31 December 2010

Vote for Margaret Sharrow to create ULTIMATE STILLNESS at the North Pole!
































On the AUL ferry, Hamborgerland, Greenland. Image copyright Margaret Sharrow, 2008.


The north pole is one of only two places on earth where the world stops turning. Can you feel the stillness?


My name is Margaret Sharrow, I'm an artist, and I'm so excited about my plans to share standing atop the world in a moment of silence. I'd invite others on the expedition to stand round the pole, dressed in red and bearing portraits of people who have brought peace and silence to the world. One by one they will stand on the pole, feeling inner and outer stillness as the world turns around them. They will also pass round the circle a plate of Italian crystal containing gold filaments, a work of art currently circling the world from one artist to another via FRAGILE - global performance chain journey.


Vote for me and I'll take dramatic photos of that event and everything else on the voyage, using digital and antique cameras. You'll see videos and share my stories and interviews on the blog. And I'll give you other ways to participate: I'll need nominations of people who've nurtured silence, to have their portraits carried to the pole. I'll organise silent circles round the world to experience stillness at the very moment the expedition reaches the pole. There will be a photo-book, and an exhibition that will tour the globe. 


I've been in cold places all my life: born in Buffalo, New York (butt of American snow jokes) I drifted to Canada then Britain, traveling extensively in the remote north Atlantic. Best moment? A cherry red Air Greenland helicopter taking off from Qaqortoq, roaring rotors pulsing in my sternum, three cameras juggled on my lap, my tear-filling eyes stretched wide, not missing anything. The chopper rose, perspectives shifted, the world turned inside out. The harbour and jewel-coloured rows of Danish houses lining the bowl of hills. Sea glowing blue-green spotted with brilliant white icebergs running out of the fjords like a stately crowd dispersing. Jagged edges of fairy-pointed mountains against the horizon, pressing close as children at a sweet shop window. Sailing free in the skies until the stewardess, having handed round mints, sat opposite me. Oblivious to her daily tour of paradise, she happily leafed through a magazine. 


Vote for me here! http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/166


There's more on my other blog margaretsharrow.blogspot.com, margaretsharrow.weebly.com/greenland.html and www.fragile-global-performance.net. Thanks for reading, and thanks for voting!



No comments: